Tips for Driving in France
France is one of the world's most popular destinations with numerous attractions spread across the entire country. Get familiar with local rules, signs, and types of rental cars available before you embark on your journey.
Driving in France
Unique Road Signs
The word ‘Bis’ on road signs indicates a holiday route. These usually offer a more scenic and less crowded drive. Learn more about French road signs here.
Fuel Your Adventure
Almost all petrol stations in France accept Visa and MasterCard. Some 24-hour automatic pumps in supermarket forecourts only take credit cards that include an integrated chip and PIN number.
- Parked vehicles must be parked in the same direction as the traffic flow.
- On one-way streets, parking is permitted on both sides of the street.
- Paid Parking: Road signs will indicate the areas where parking is restricted and must be paid for, either at meters or auto machines, called ‘stationnement à la carte’.
RENTING IN FRANCE
car Rental Locations
You’ll find an Enterprise Rent-A-Car location perfect for your adventure.
• Airport: Begin the trip as soon as you arrive. Airports are usually located near major roadways that will allow you to get on the road quickly.
• Neighborhood: Great for day trips or to begin your journey after a visit to a major city.
• Train Station: Rent at a train station to explore a region further.
Legal Requirements for Driving in France
• Proof of ID – usually a passport.
• Minimum age to rent a vehicle is 21.
Cross Border Regulations
• Renters picking up a vehicle in France will have unlimited travel in mainland France.
• Renters wanting to travel outside of the mainland to authorised countries must make arrangements directly with the Enterprise branch and must return the vehicle to a location in mainland France.
We offer 24-hour roadside assistance where permissible. On motorways, however, only the official breakdown service (police and service vehicles) may be used. Make contact via orange emergency phones placed every 2km.
Need 24-Hour Roadside Assistance?
Inside France 0800131211
Outside France 00 33 1 49 93 73 61
LOYALTY CLUB INFORMATION
•Include the Enterprise Plus number at the time of reservation to earn points
on qualifying rentals in Europe. Members can redeem points for free rental days
at thousands of participating Enterprise® locations worldwide.
• Emerald Club® makes the car rental experience faster with Priority Service.
Include the Emerald Club member
OTHER USEFUL LINKS