Car Hire FAQs - Our Frequently Asked Questions
Your definitive guide to hiring a vehicle in the UK
Have a question about hiring a car or van in the UK?
Planning a holiday or business trip, and new to Enterprise Rent-A-Car? Perhaps circumstances have changed since you made your car hire reservation? Browse the popular topics below or click on one of the questions to find the full answer and get on the road!
The Top 5 Car Hire Questions, answered:
- What do I need to hire a car with Enterprise?
The essential items you will need to bring to an Enterprise Rent-A-Car branch when hiring a vehicle are a valid drivers licence, valid ID, and a credit or debit card. You will also need to prove you are over 25 years of age, and there may be additional documentation required for international drivers. Learn more about what you need when hiring here.
- Do I need insurance to rent a car or van?
No. At Enterprise you don't need to purchase insurance as we provide a damage waiver within the cost of your hire. You can, of course, take option to purchase additional protection products to reduce the excess further to give you complete peace of mind. Visit our car hire insurance page for further details.
- How old do I need to be to hire a car or van?
All drivers must be a minimum of 25 years old. Only drivers over 30 years old may hire full-size MPVs, premium vehicles/exotic cars and Luton vans. Younger drivers might be interested in Enterprise Car Club. Learn more about age requirements for hiring a vehicle here.
- What are the driver's licence requirements for car hire in the UK & Ireland?
All drivers must produce a full, valid driving licence. Non-EU licence holders are required to have an international driving permit if the licence is not in English. All renters must produce photographic ID - this can be a passport or driving licence. Learn more about car hire driving licence requirements here.
- Can I hire a car with a debit card?
We accept all major debit cards except for Maestro, Electron, Solo and pre-paid cards. To hire our 4x4s and premium vehicles, we require a credit card. All cards MUST have the main driver's name on it. Learn more about our accepted card payment methods here.
About Our Services:
- Can I be picked up and taken to my car rental from home?
- Can I return or pick-up a car after office hours?
- Does Enterprise offer one-way car hire in the UK and Ireland?
- What condition will my rental car be in when i pick it up?
- How is damage measured?
- Can I hire a car without an excess deposit?
- What is a damage or loss waiver and how does it work?
- How many Enterprise Plus Points does it take to earn a free rental day?
- Does Enterprise have a Lost and Found?
Booking Your Car Hire:
- What is needed to rent a car?
- What forms of payment do you accept in order to hire a car?
- How much does it cost to rent a car?
- How much is the deposit on a car rental?
- Are there any add on (surprise) charges?
- Do I need insurance to rent a car?
Managing Your Reservation:
- How do I change or cancel my reservation?
- Can I add an additional driver to my car hire in the UK and Ireland?
- I want to return my car early; is there a penalty to do so?
- Will there be an additional charge if I am late returning the rental vehicle?
- Do hire cars have unlimited mileage?
- How can I get a copy of my receipt?
Driving in the UK ...& Beyond:
- What are your driver's licence requirements for renting in the UK and Ireland?
- How old do you have to be to rent a car?
- Will I be allowed to cross into bordering countries?
- What is the Congestion Charge in London?
- Do I Need to Pay the Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge When Hiring From Enterprise Rent-A-Car?
- Driving in Europe after Brexit?